Tada!: Gir.

Pattern: Gir by TChemGrrl (Ravelry)
Finished size: About a foot, if you straighten his antennae
Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease Solid in Grey Heather and Patons Classic Wool Merino in Blue
Needles: Size 6 dpns (they were a bit too large, but I was in a hurry)
Date started: Ravelry says it was in January, but I really got started on it on June 2, 2008.
Date completed: June 3, 2008.

This pattern is so kindly written – it would be great for someone’s first amigurumi. There is only one buzzword in the whole pattern (“at the same time” – eek!), but it’s only for the intarsia block on his chest, and it’s not hard at all. Of course, parts of it are going to be frustrating – especially the eyes. You pick up stitches in a circle on the head, and then knit from there. Of course, you won’t be able to tell if your stitches really were a circle until the last row, so if you make any mistakes you’ll have to rip back the whole thing.

Luckily, I didn’t make any mistakes on the eyes.

I really loved working with both of the yarns. But honestly, if I had to choose, I’d pick the Wool-Ease. Don’t bother stifling your ghasps, I know it’s appalling. But really, it’s hard to tell that it’s acrylic-based. It doesn’t squeak, it has great memory … perfect for a toy! I wouldn’t want to make any sort of garment out of it, however. The Patons was smooth and nice and generally unremarkable.

The pattern says you’ll use about 200 yards of the gray yarn, but I’d be surprised if I used more than 125. Of course, you need a very small amount of the blue.

I made this for my lovely nephew Jack, for his fifth birthday. They sure are fans of Invader Zim at the Tullis house. Next? Maybe a green-dog-jacket for Gir, or a stuffed Zim!

Mods I made:

  • I ignored her advice to stagger my increases and decreases, and I actually really like the pinwheel effect that it made on this particular toy. Especially the top of the head. I also steered clear of kfb’ing, because I just don’t like it. I think all of my increases were M1R.
  • I stuffed as I went along, and really think that’s a better way to do it.
  • I skipped the last row on the eyeballs, because my flat circular knits always have a tendency to go pointy. If anyone knows the cure to this, PLEASE tell me. It drives me crazy.
  • Because of the aforementioned problem, I didn’t stuff Gir as much as I stuff most toys. I didn’t want his head or feet to get pointy.
  • I purled his shoulder joints. It was kind of an accident, but I wound up liking it.
  • I omitted the mouth, I just didn’t like the look of it. And I’m lazy.

Mods I should have made:

  • I think I should have put some sort of spine in Gir. His head is SO floppy.
  • I should have been patient and bought a smaller set of DPN’s, especially for his belly.
Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Knitting

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s